Applying for a place
Starting school in Reception
Children start in our Reception classes the September following their fourth birthday.
Online applications are made via Lincolnshire County Council’s School Admissions using the Parent Portal. You can also contact the Admissions team on 01522 782030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admissions and choices
Every year we are able to take 60 children into our EYFS unit. Since opening, we have always been over-subscribed and in many cases have had at least 30 more children who have applied than we have room for. When we do have more requests for admissions than places available, the following criteria are applied, in order, by LCC when offering places:
1. Children who have an Education, Health and Care plan where Lincoln Carlton Academy is the named school.
2. Looked after children and all previously looked after children, including those children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted.
3. Children with a sibling attending the school at the time of application. In the event of there being more siblings than there are remaining places in a year group, it is possible that a sibling under these circumstances would not be offered a place. Where siblings exceed the remaining places in a year group, places will be allocated by the drawing of lots.
4. Children of staff at the school, in either of the following circumstances: a) The member of staff has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made, or b) The member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
5. Other children by distance from the school with priority for admission given to children who live nearest to the school. Distance will be measured in a straight line from the Post Office Address Point of the home to the Post Office Address Point of the schools, calculated electronically to three figures after the decimal point (e.g. 1.543 miles).
It is always great to hear when families put LCA as their first choice. However, we are always realistic with parents, especially if they live anywhere other than the Carlton Estate and do not meet criteria 1-4 above.
We always recommend that parents put a second and third choice of school on their application and that they would be happy for their child to go to either one of these. If you only put LCA as a first choice and you are unsuccessful, the local authority may offer you a place at any school in the county, not necessarily the one that is closest to where live.
We admit children between the ages of four and 11 (places permitting). In-year applications can be made at any time. If you would like to apply for a place during the school year in any year group, you will need to do so through the Lincolnshire School Admissions team.
For any application made into existing year groups, a place will only be offered if the number of pupils is below our admission number. If your application is unsuccessful you can request to be added to a waiting list.
If you would like to apply for a place during the school year in any year group, you will need to do so through School Admissions (01522 782030).
The ‘find your nearest school’ tool on the LCC website is also very useful:
Admissions policies and procedures
For more information on admissions in our school, please see our admissions policies below and on our Policies page. The Admissions Policy is reviewed by Anthem Schools Trust on an annual basis.