‘Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity’ (The National Curriculum)
Music is fundamental to our humanity and civilization. Every child deserves the opportunity to engage with music of all styles and from all cultures, in order to develop their own musical journey.
The music curriculum at LCA aims to:
- Develop skills in inquiry and critical thinking.
- Support children to begin to feel and learn about social connectivity.
- Deepen musical understanding and connect this with a child’s place in their community.
- Support children to become globally aware and understand what it means to become a citizen of the world.
- Ensure songs and singing lie at the heart of the learning process.
- Create an authentic musical experience at the heart of musical learning.
- Draw out musical learning by engaging with songs in each age and stage of development.
- Be fun, modern, inclusive and engaging.
- Help children to understand and connect with different styles of music from various cultures, particularly where cultures intersect.
- Help children gain an understanding of historical and cultural contexts related to music.
- Help children to form their own musical opinions and learn to make their own musical decisions.
Further details about the National Curriculum for Music and the Music Curriculum at LCA can be found in the documents below.